ZOMBA..?

Should I write about Zomba?

Well, it’s not as easy as it may appear, to write about one darling place Zomba. Many have written about it, and will continue to do so, but see, I have grown up here, done almost all my school here and this is where I live, Zomba is my home. I will spare a good time in putting down some important things about this historic place and I will be presenting to you bit by bit as I make and assemble the whole.




Zomba District is one of the five districts in the Eastern region Malawi, which is surrounded by Machimga district, Balaka, Chiradzulu, Blantyre, Mulanje, Phalombe, as well as the Republic of Mozambique to the East. The total land area is approximately 2,580 km², which represents three percent of the total land area of Malawi.

Talking about demographics, The 2008 Population and Housing census projected that Zomba had a total population of 583,167. Meaning that it has a population density of 230 persons per square kilometer, and more than half of these are 18 years old or even younger. Nyanja/Mang’anja is the main ethnic group in Zomba among the Yao, and Lomwe. Chichewa also known as Chinyanja is the local language which most inhabitants speak, although other languages like Chiyao and Chilomwe are also spoken. In terms of religion, the dominant religions are Christianity with 78 percent and Islam with 20 percent and the remaining 2 percent could be shared by those who are unsure or do not subscribe to any religious belief at all.


For now, let me pause right here, I will be back with another section as I write even more about Zomba.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME TO THE GLOBAL START-UP ACADEMY

Reminiscences of my CorpsAfrica Adventures

CHITETE WOMEN