FINISHED PRODUCT FOR THE MOVABLE CHITETE-ZO MBAULA


So over the past days I have been updating you on our project concerning improved stoves which I am doing with the women in my community. I have been giving you some details regarding the progress of the same. I must confess that the journey hasn't been smooth and an easy path at all. I decided to start the project with the available resources and build from that as we grow it into something big. It is said in the good book that we must not despise the humble beginning of small things, and myself being a “religious” man knows how to value such humble beginnings. Today I am both humbled and very glad to look back and appreciate the collective efforts of the women and myself especially after reaching this far.

So, Friday July 8th was the day myself and the women’s group gathered at the same place where we left the unfinished movable Chitete-zo Mbaula. The day was chilly but this did not keep us in our warm blankets to save the work for another day. We were there to all work together and witness the finishing of our stove and the mood was exciting.  To make it more exciting, we had a new member who came to join after hearing of our work from her friends. In no time after we grouped, we were onto the business of the day. If you remember from my previous post we were remaining with fixing and attaching the stands and handles. And so the work started. We molded the handles and the stands. The women learnt so fast how to do all this and it was an exciting moment for us all especially after we were done with our prototypes. We fixed the stands and the handles and the rest was for the stove to dry up and allow us to test how we had done.
At this stage I would say I am so proud of my village and especially the women in this group whom I have been working with to make these prototypes a success. Now we know where we stand, we can gladly pat ourselves at the back and whisper loudly “Great job!”J. So the whole process of making these stove prototypes has helped us identify a few areas we need to work on so as to make this entire project a complete success. We plan to search for clay that is suitable for the stoves in terms of quantity and more importantly quality. We are also in need of materials for the group to have to make the whole work easier and lastly we plan to have expert trainings for these women so that as a group they can function well in terms of leadership and strategizing on marketing and making returns. We are an excited group and we are the group that believes that “It’s all possible if we put our minds to it and work together.”  

As I conclude, I would like to appreciate the support and mentorship from the both the Global Initiative Food Security and Citizens’ Climate Lobby and from the CorpsAfrica team here in Malawi and from DC, you guys keep me on my feet and I must salute you. To all the family and friends reading, commenting and following my blog from far and wide, I say thank you as well, I wouldn't be more encouraged if not for your moral support and the many views I am getting on this blog. Surely together we can do more J J

women pose for a photo with the finished stove

collective effort

:) 

final touches

two prototypes in 2 weeks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME TO THE GLOBAL START-UP ACADEMY

I HAVE FOUND A NEW HOME

Reminiscences of my CorpsAfrica Adventures